Thursday, April 21, 2011

Acorn Squash and Spinach Egg White Omelet with Apple Salsa

*** Disclaimer...I'm starting a new label on this blog.  It will be MOMO....Meals On My Own....yes, sing the Les Mis song.  The purpose of this blog was to only do family loved, tried and true faves.  But I want to keep track of my faves...healthy faves...so they will be under MOMO.  These are the meals I usually make myself when Hans is working late or out of town and I don't want to eat what you kids are eating and you definitely don't want to eat this. So it really is again, just for me, but maybe some day, one of you kids will like it!

Acorn Squash and Spinach Egg White Omelet
with Apple Salsa

1 C acorn squash, peeled and chopped (probably just as good with butternut)
1/2 C onion chopped
1 big handfuls of spinach chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced (I used the jarred)
1/4 t cumin
pinch - 1/8 t cinnamon
salt and pepper to taste
3 egg whites 
1 babybel light cheese round (grated)

Roast the squash in the oven at 350 for 20 min until soft.  Doesn't take long if your pieces are small.  Spray skillet with pam and cook onion for about 5 minutes.  Add garlic, cumin and cinnamon. After about a minute, add the squash and spinach. Cook until spinach is wilted, a few minutes. Salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
Wipe out pan and spray heavily with pam.  Add the egg whites and tilt pan so a nice round is created. Cook through, on med low heat.  I sometimes flip mine.  Add squash mixture back, sprinkle on grated cheese and fold over omelet.  Top with apple salsa (a must).

Apple Salsa
1/2 apple, diced (fuji)
2 T cilantro, chopped
1/4 C onion, diced
1/2 lime juiced
salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients and serve on top of omelet.

**This is my own creation, adapted from a quesadilla recipe. It is just about the same, except add 1/2 C black beans into the squash mixture, put it in a tortilla and use a lot of cheddar cheese. I also added the cinnamon which is total yum.
** OK, here is the awesome news.  This is 280 calories, 21g of protein, and 12g of fiber.  It is one of the yummiest healthy things I've had in a long time, and I crave it!  Sometimes I double the squash portion and save the 2nd half for the next day lunch or dinner!

1 comment: