Monday, October 3, 2011

Ranchero Sauce


Ranchero Sauce

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup chopped white onion
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne (optional...I went more 1/16 t so the kids wouldn't complain)
1 T minced jalepeno  seeded if you want less heat (or I used roasted N.M. chilies)
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 cup chopped tomatoes and their juices
3/4 cup chicken broth
3 tablespoons cilantro


To make the Ranchero Sauce:  In a medium pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat.  Add the onions and bell peppers, cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.  Add the cumin, salt, cayenne, jalapeno, and garlic, cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.  Add the tomatoes and their juices and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.  Add the chicken broth and simmer until thickened, about 15 minutes.  Remove from the heat, stir in cilantro and puree in a blender until smooth.  Adjust the seasonings to taste. 

**Recipe adapted from Emeril Lagasse
**Breanna turned me onto this liquid gold a few weeks ago and I can't get enough....seriously!  I made 2 gallons of it this weekend with my garden tomatoes and now it's just waiting for me in my freezer.
**It was obviously created for Huevos Rancheros, but we have used it with so much more....omelets, burritos, eat it with chips like salsa.... and I can't wait to try it on enchiladas.  Oh the goodness.  Thanks Breanna!  Check out the Huevos link, her picture is stunning!
**Huevos Rancheros is one of our favorite after church breakfasts!

No comments:

Post a Comment