Monday, August 15, 2011

Left Over Rice Pudding


I wish I could give measurements, but I have never measured and never plan to.  That's what makes this a treasure. This is a recipe that I learned from my Mom, just by watching.  I don't ever remember having a conversation about what goes into it, I've just always known.  I've never made it from scratch, it seems to only be made when there is left over rice. If the rice is cooked in water and is just buttered and salted, it works just fine, but when the rice is cooked in chicken stock or bouillon, it's a no go.

Left Over Rice Pudding

cooked rice
milk (the creamier the better, but still works with skim)
sugar
vanilla
cinnamon

Place rice in a heavy pot. Just cover rice with milk.  Stir in sugar, vanilla and cinnamon to taste.  Place on med-low heat and cover with lid.  Cook, stirring often, until milk is absorbed. If rice sticks to the bottom of the pot, don't scrape off or you'll have brown bits in your pudding.  Serve warm or cold.

**Add raisins, pecans or a big scoop of ice cream.  It is a fave around here. Grayson is the biggest fan...he loves it with a scoop of Breyer's vanilla!
**This picture reminds me of my Dad.  With any treat he ever ate, he always grabbed a few pecans out of the freezer and added to his sweet roll, rice pudding or bread in milk. He still loves pecans and so do I, but I prefer mine toasted!

No comments:

Post a Comment