Saturday, August 20, 2011

Grandma's Pink Squares

Grandma's Pink Squares (my version)

1/2 C butter
1 16oz bag of mini marshmallows
1/4 t salt (heaping)
1 t vanilla
4 drops red food coloring
8 C puffed rice cereal

Melt butter in a large pot over med low heat and cook until just browned. Turn off heat and add salt, marshmallows, vanilla and food coloring.  Mix until thoroughly combined and smooth.  Add the puffed rice cereal.  Mix well.  Press into a buttered 9 x 9 pan. Let cool and cut.

**At every 4th of July parade, every Pinegar and Jolley reunion and a few random Sundays, Grandma Pinegar made her famous Pink Squares. I don't even know if that's what she called them, but that's what I always did.  They are just like rice krispie treats, but you use puffed rice cereal and a few drops of red food coloring.  They truly don't taste the same if they aren't pink, and believe it or not, they taste very different than rice krispie treats.
**I made these today for a Pinegar reunion and Josie informed me that she needs these for her birthday and that they are her absolute favorite.  I'm sure the fact that they are pink had nothing to do with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment