Friday, February 15, 2013

THE Sundance Cookie

 THE Sundance Cookie
(Oatmeal Molasses Golden Raisin Cookie by Joseph McRae)

1 1/2 C butter
2 C + 2 T sugar
2 eggs
1/2 C molasses
3 1/2 C flour
2 T baking soda
1 1/4 t salt
1 1/2 t cinnamon
1 1/2 t ginger
3 C oats
1 1/2 C golden raisins

Cream butter and sugar.  Add eggs. Mix.  Add molasses. Mix. Mix flour, soda, salt, cinnamon and ginger together in a separate bowl.  Add to wet ingredients.  Mix well.  Add oats.  Mix.  Mix in raisins.  Form into balls and bake at 350.  (1 T ball baked for approx. 8 minutes. 1/4 C ball baked for approx. 12 minutes.)

**I have been skiing at Sundance for 21 years with Hans (19 years before that without him).  We love it.  It's a little place of memories, fun, family and beauty.  It's a winter escape.  One of the simple joys is eating a cookie and drinking a diet coke on the lift.  It's crazy how much I look forward to it.  This cookie is the best cookie I've ever had.  A few years ago, I met the creator of this masterpiece.  Joseph McRae.  He was the pastry chef years ago at Sundance and now is a successful restauranteur. Through my sis in law Holly, he shared his recipe.  However, it came in crazy huge proportions. 6lbs butter, 8.5 lbs flour...etc.  I shaved it down, but am not 100% happy with the texture.  The flavor is perfect.  I'll keep messing and make it perfect! 

**Side note, I went skiing 2 weeks ago and the cookie is GONE!  There's a new pastry chef in town and she took it off the menu! What?  There have been a lot of complaints, so they might bring it back.  So when you're at the deli, tell them you want it!

6 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try this recipe! This is the cookie that I have been trying to copycat and haven't quite figured it out. Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is something I will make for sure. We are huge oatmeal cookie fans here.
    One question, I think you just forgot about the golden raisins. Just throw in a handful or so?
    Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, thank you for pointing that out! I updated the recipe, but truly it is up to your taste.....so more or less would work just great!

      Delete
  3. I'm with you, this is my favorite cookie in the whole world! I used to get it just about everyday with I was done teaching ski lessons. We went up there today and the deli said they were not sure if they would be making them this ski season, but I told them they should. Do you think there would be any way I could get the original recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Chelsea....here's the original.....

      16 eggs, 6 lb butter (melted), 4 C molasses, 8 1/2 lb flour, 8 lb sugar, 10 oz baking soda, 2 oz salt, 2 1/2 oz cinnamon, 2 oz ginger, 5 lb oats, 4 lb golden raisins

      Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs. Add molasses. Add dries. Add fruit.

      Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.

      Happy Baking! XO

      Delete
  4. This was delicious! Thank you so much!! This is my husband's favorite cookie, so much that he would be willing to drive to the resort just for them. Yum.

    ReplyDelete