Monday, February 25, 2013

Ebelskivers

 Ebelskivers

3 eggs seperated
2 T sugar
1/2 t salt
2 C buttermilk
2 C flour
1 t baking soda
1 t baking powder

Beat egg yolks until light and lemon colored.  Add sugar, salt and buttermilk; mix well.  Sift together flour, soda and baking powder; add to egg mixture.   Beat egg whites until stiff.  Fold into batter.  Place a small amount of shortening (or butter or pam) in each cup of ebelskiver pan, and fill 2/3 full with batter. Cook over medium low to medium heat until bubbly and slightly cooked on edges.  Turn carefully with a toothpick and finish baking on other side. If desired, ebelskivers can be filled...place small spoonful of batter in cup (1/3 full) a dollop of filling and top with another small spoonful of batter (to 2/3 full). Cooking time varies, approximately 2 minutes per side, depending on heat and amount of batter.  Filling ideas: biscoff, lemon curd, jams, nutella, apple slice, honey, mascarpone and anything!
**Above is a lemon & mascarpone, biscoff and raspberry & mascarpone! Yum!
**I took a cooking class from a neighborhood high school girl (Becca Briggs - my sister Kristi's best friend) when I was 8 or 9.  Ebelskivers was one of our favorite days! We had so much fun putting all kinds of things in them....blueberry jelly belly's were my favorite, but now I'd pick lemon curd and mascarpone! Thanks to Becca for initiating my love of the Ebelskiver!
**Hooray for Sunday after church breakfasts! When I make these for my family, I give them each a pan at a time, so they pick what they want in their 7 and that way everyone gets warm fresh ones! I usually have 2 pans going at once...it's a little tricky. And they are still amazing without filling...that is Chloe's choice!

No comments:

Post a Comment