Sunday, November 20, 2011

Spiced Nuts

Spiced Nuts

1 lg egg white
1 T water
1 t salt
1 lb unsalted raw nuts
1/2 C sugar
2 t cinnamon
1 t ginger
1 t coriander

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.  Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.  Whisk together egg white, water and salt in a large bowl.  Add nuts and toss to coat.  Let nuts drain thoroughly in colander, 4-5 minutes.  Mix sugar, cinnamon, ginger and coriander in large bowl.  Add drained nuts and toss to coat with sugar and spice mixture.  Spread nuts evenly onto prepared baking sheet and bake until dry and crisp, 40 - 45 minutes, rotating sheet halfway though.  Cool nuts completely then break apart and serve.

**We were given these awesome nuts as a Christmas gift years ago, from our friends the Whites.   I've been making them ever since.  Recently I found that this recipe is from America's Test Kitchen...I seriously think that would be my dream job!
**It makes a huge batch. So if I'm organized, I do one sheet of whole pecans, and one sheet of chopped pecans for salads.  If you chop them after, the sugar flakes off. They keep perfectly in zip locks in the fridge.
**Amazing in Lisa's Holiday Salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment