Sunday, November 20, 2011

Raspberry Yogurt Cake with Browned Butter Frosting

This cake has a story. A compilation of foodie friends! First, I made these cookies (Frosted Oatmeal Cookies) on advice from my nieces Stephanie & Breanna. I took some to friends and they all were dying over the frosting.  I mentioned to my friend Heather that we needed to find a cake for that frosting.  She proceeded to make me two different cakes, but I think this one is the winner, because it was her creation, adapting a recipe from one of our favorite books...A Homemade Life by Molly Wizenberg.  I served it this week a long with several other desserts and it was a surprising favorite. Hooray for 4 foodie friends contributing to something so great! Thanks ladies!

Raspberry Yogurt Cake with Browned Butter Frosting

Cake:
1/2 C plain whole fat yogurt
1 C sugar
3 large eggs
1 t vanilla
1 1/2 C  flour
2 t baking powder
pinch of salt
1/2 C canola oil
2 C raspberries (I used frozen, and I thawed them.)

Preheat the oven to 350. Grease a round 9 inch cake pan, line with parchment and grease parchment.  In a large bowl, combine the yogurt, sugar, eggs and vanilla, stirring until well blended. Add the flour, baking powder, mixing to just combine. Add the oil and stir to incorporate. At first, it will look like a horrible, oily mess, but keep stirring, and it will come together into a smooth batter. Pour 1/2 of batter in prepared cake pan. Drop raspberries all around cake batter trying to evenly space. Top with remaining batter.  Bake for 35-45 minutes or until the cake feels springy to the touch and a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. (This was tricky because the moisture in the thawed raspberries caused the cooking time to increase, so just keep checking with a toothpick. I think I went to almost 50 minutes.) Try not to overbake.  Cool cake on a rack for about 20 minutes; then turn it out of the pan to cool completely.  When the cake is thoroughly cooled frost with Browned Butter Frosting.

Browned Butter Frosting:
1/3 cup butter
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup cream
1 tablespoon corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
Heaping 1/4 teaspoon salt

Brown butter in saucepan over medium heat.  Cool to lukewarm.  Beat in remaining ingredients until smooth.
** Heather, you really were the genius mastermind behind this...thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment