Wednesday, October 17, 2012

My Muesli

My Muesli

1 C oats
2/3 C Uncle Sam Cereal (wheat berry flakes)
1/3 C Quinoa Flakes (also a cereal)
4 T wheat germ
4 T ground flaxseed
1/4 C chia seeds
1/3 C golden raisins

Combine all ingredients and keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Eat with yogurt or as a hot or cold cereal.

** 1/4 C serving is 141 calories, 4g fat, 5g fiber and 5g protein.
**When I lived in England, I loved muesli....Alpen Muesli to be exact.  You can buy it here now and it's delicious, but not particularly healthy.  So I made up my own version with less sugar and a little more umph!  I eat it mixed in greek yogurt and then topped with a little vanilla soy milk and fruit. I add the soy milk because it get's quite thick.  Traditionally, Europeans mix it with their yogurt or milk the night before and let it sit in the refrigerator over night. I like it both ways, but usually I don't think about it the night before.
**You could add anything you want to muesli...nuts, dates, dried fruit...no limit.  I change mine up all the time, but this is my base!

No comments:

Post a Comment