Sunday, March 11, 2012

Elise's Angel Food Cake


Angel Food Cake For Angel Food Cake Haters ;)

10-12 large egg whites (11 Costco)
1 1/2 C powdered sugar
1 C flour
1 1/2 t cream of tartar
1 t vanilla
1 C sugar

Bring egg whites to room temperature.  Sift powdered sugar and flour together 3 times.  In a large bowl beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl).  Gradually add sugar, about 2 T at a time, beating until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).  Sift about one fourth of the flour mixture over beaten egg whites; fold in gently.   Repeat, folding in a the remaining flour mixture by fourths.

Pour into a freshly washed, ungreased 10 inch angel food cake pan.  Bake on the lowest rack at 350 for 40-45 mintures or until top springs back when lightly touched.  Immediately invert cake (leave in pan) and cool completely.  Loosen sides of cake from pan with sharp knife, invert and remove cake.

Serve with any combination of fruit and cream.

**This story is too good not to share.  I was at my friend Elise's house and she had made a marvelous dinner that I had already requested the recipe for.  We were discussing food, as usual, and were talking about a recipe that had angel food cake in it and someone suggested replacing the angel food cake with pound cake. I said, "Oh my word, that's brilliant! Who would prefer angel food cake over pound cake? Angel food cake is such a waste!"  OH YES I DID....and guess what dear Elise was serving for dessert!  Oh, my friends let me have it and I groveled for forgiveness. It was a hoot!  Elise was the best sport ever!  In all honesty, I had NEVER had a homemade angel food cake, just the grocery store 2 day old ones! It was so yummy! I was wrong, way wrong! Elise agreed to give me her recipe and she titled it "Angel Food Cake for Angel Food Cake Haters!"  It's been several years and I have yet to live that night down!  Thank you Elise for loving me enough to serve me that slice even though I was very unworthy! Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment