Thursday, November 25, 2010

Yams & Apples


Yams & Apples
 

6 medium yams
3 or 4 apples, peeled, cored, and sliced (Granny Smith)
½ cup butter
3 T cornstarch
1 C sugar
1 t salt
2 C water (you could use pineapple juice or orange juice if desired, not me)
2 T fresh lemon juice
Parboil yams about 20 minutes. Cool, peel, and slice in layers in a buttered casserole (9 x 13 pan), alternating yam slices with apple slices.  Yam slices are a little thinner than ½ an inch.  Melt butter in small saucepan. Add cornstarch, sugar and salt.  Blend well.  Add water, cook and stir until sauce thickens.  Add lemon juice, then pour sauce over yams and apples.  Bake at 350 for one hour. 


Origanlly from the Lion House 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you thank you thank you for posting this!!! I was looking for this Lion House recipe (I packed my cookbook when moving and haven't found it yet). My Grandma made this every year and I was wanting to make this in honor of her today. <3

    ReplyDelete